Ability to solve problems and adapt to programming languages, some of the components that large companies take into account the most.
n the world of entrepreneurship and technology, to refer to a “unicorn” is to refer to emerging companies, mostly technology-based, valued at more than $ 1 billion and that promise rapid growth of their business.
Although this is a term that a few years ago was little known, today it has become popular thanks to the boom of startups and technology companies, who during the pandemic have managed to meet with the development of technology a large part of the tasks and needs of people.
In fact, according to data from the firm CB Insights, it is estimated that there are currently more than 500 unicorns around the planet, where countries such as the United States and China concentrate the majority of companies of this type with 242 and 119 companies respectively.
For Germán Escobar, CEO of Make It Real, an academy of developers that through its “Top” program has helped Colombian talents to link to unicorns and companies in the technological ecosystem, companies of this nature have become in recent years a benchmark for thousands of professionals when looking for employment, since in addition to offering professional development and rapid learning, they provide employment benefits ranging from flexible hours to the possibility of acquiring shares in the company after a minimum time of work.
But what do unicorns or tech companies take into account when hiring tech talent? Escobar responds:
- People who are autonomous and able to accomplish things on their own when given the necessary tools and resources.
- Professionals who want to create something bigger than themselves.
- For unicorns, it is essential to have people who know how to prioritize their tasks, manage time and execute what is really going to impact a project within certain established periods.
- Professionals with the ability to learn quickly, propose how to do things and solve problems effectively, using technology correctly.
- These companies hire people who are capable of adapting to the language and technology needs that are required to best solve a specific need. For example: They are looking for developers who do not marry a specific programming language.
- In the case of senior positions or technical leaders, it is key to have specific experience in what the vacancy requires.
“Today there are also unicorns in Latin America such as Rappi, Auth0, Mercado Libre, Globant, Kavak, among others, which serve as a reference for those who want to enter technology companies with exponential growth. This change in context has allowed the region’s technological talent not only to have greater job opportunities, but also the possibility of facing large-scale technical challenges, when proposing solutions to problems that arise when a product is used by millions of people, ”adds Escobar.
According to an analysis by Make It Real, who to date has graduated and linked to technology companies all the graduates of its “Top” program, it is estimated that there are currently 23 unicorns in the region and 1 in Colombia, which promise In 2021, increase their income and with it, generate more opportunities for the ‘tech’ talents who are preparing in the country every day.
Leave a Reply